Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Man on the prowl: Men travellers and what they're looking for – in a woman.

I sit alone at a bar in Ko Samui, Bangkok. The bar is quite crowded, as it should be at this time of the year. But I choose to wait for the ‘right’ company. Ten minutes later a gorgeous girl brushes past me and the rest of the mob, trying to get to the bar table.
Ahh, she wants me. That’s the sign. It has to be.
On her way back I ask her if I can buy a drink.
No. (she wants me to play hard to get)
Would she like to sit by me for a while.
No. (She’s faltering, I can sense it)
Could I have her number?
No. And leave me alone, freak of nature, I’m with someone. (I can see her lips moving. But like a badly dubbed Chinese movie, all I can hear is “Ask me again and I might say yes!”)
3:00 am and eight martinis down, my hopes aren’t the only thing that are high.
Two hours later, I’m wondering why she led me on if she didn’t want to take it further. Women!

Ok ladies, there’s something you have to know about men.
We have a diminished understanding of what we look like and how charming we are. This lack of understanding is heightened outside our familiarity zone.
We take a small trip out of the city, and we’re hit by the James Bond Syndrome.
We become the kings of smooth pick up lines, and we assume women can’t escape the enigmatic charm. I think this is because we are at a place where people don’t know that we aren’t the studly studs we make out to be. For a short while we can assume an identity of someone with confidence and pizzazz.

There’s another thing you should know about us. Ask any man, and you will find that a large number of actions fall into the purview of flirting which you might not know about. Like breathing. Or walking into a club. That’s flirting according to us.
On a serious note though, you can trust us to misconstrue pretty much any look or movement. You could have a weak bladder and be looking for the little ladies room. Eye contact with any male in the room at this time will be misunderstood.
He’s not reading a face that says – Damn my weak bladder.
What he’s reading is – Come hither Tarzan.

As progressive as our society claims to be, we don’t see too many women that drink or smoke in public. It’s frowned upon. If I see a woman lighting one up, it’s going to have my antennae up. “She smokes! Who knows what else she’ll do? Maybe she’s one of those naughty girls that will give me a back rub. I’m going over and saying hi.”

Any show of skin just gives us another reason to target you. You may underestimate the level of desperation if you think that knuckles and toes are excluded. Increase the percentage of skin showing, courtesy short skirts or off-shoulders and more men will come up to you. In this particular case, even sitting with company will not deter us.

Going up and coming on to women whilst traveling is much easier because there’s no fear of failing. We don’t see the harm is falling flat on our faces, because you don’t know us. Or anyone we know. And hopefully nobody those people know. The news can’t spread. Safe to say, Bond can show his face in public again.

What’s it boils down to is, when traveling, reality gets warped. Confidence gets a boost. Libido goes up. Logic comes down. Rules don’t apply. We’ve not only taken a trip away from home, but also from all the rules and realities that bind that life.
You can travel in packs, dress however you want, and try to avoid making eye contact. But the man traveler is on the prowl, and he has packing some pretty lousy pick up lines.
Beware.

Note: I have bever been to ko samui. I have never walked up to strange women soliciting my sexual abilities. I have not hit on my colleagues. I am a nice boy (feel free to read as whipped) who has not and will not fall of the 'committed' wagon.

8 comments:

Kari said...

very good jonty...u just had to get in tht comment abt the committment et al no?:p...also,i shall keep a lookout for these 'men' u spoke off...thanku!

opinionated said...

not that i didnt read the note.. but it seems you had a pretty good south east asia trip after all.. u forgot to mention the little details to me before!!its a pity really!!!

Unknown said...

i sit in my psych class reading this...keeps me entertained...thanks for the newsleters jontydear...defenatly gets me through many a classes..

Unknown said...

Jon... I cudn't help ROTFL when i read your
"Two hours later, I’m wondering why she led me on if she didn’t want to take it further. Women!"

Wasn't aware that you were such a good writer! I don't want to point you to the blogs I've written coz they're all about mundane things that none of us can really relate to - such as How to install 3 OSes (or was it ASses) on 1 computer...

Keep up the good work, n plz don't go to My page at Multiply to read any of my blogs! But there are some pics u mite like if u're in James Bond mood... ;-)

Jonathan said...

lara: anything to help you get through school with flying colours.

Arvindh: why do you assume things. Maybe i WANT to read about 3 oses.
Ok... maybe i don't... but i'll give the rest of the blogs a shot.

Jonathan said...

Diya has problems posting her message... but this is what she has to say:
Hey, Jon,
Error on comments page again, is it because of something I did? Anyhow I wanted to write this comment for all to see but nothing doing, so an email it is.
Look here, my boy, women too (travelling or not) are looking out for men. The problem is the guys who hit upon them makes their stomach and intestines churn. Unfortunately the guy they are rooting for does not get the signal! Sadly women are not used to making the first move and that is the reason for this situation, according to me, I would like to know what others feel.
My take is that men and women want the same thing it is just the matter of the right person catching the right signal

prado said...

Nice! Especially the italic text written at the bottom saying "NOTE"
And you do have a safe travel :p

Susegado Goemkar said...

At first I wanted to say Snitch, but then i read what Diya said and Im thinking i must travell more often. For all in advertising this just proves that sex still sells,